Pages

Tuesday, November 10, 2015

Quilting on the Millifiore Quilt

I just linked up to a couple of wip wednesdays, the Canadian TN & TN, (the Needle and Thread Network),   and Freshly Pieced, http://www.freshlypieced.com/2015/11/wip-wednesday-spin-cycle.html,   so if you landed here from those links, Welcome!  
pulled out my millefiori quilt a week or two ago, intending to finish it by the end of the month. I had started this quilt earlier this year and had completed the top sometime this spring. It was quite an engrossing project.  

I had been wondering about how to quilt this type of project and my first thoughts were to just do a simple meander over the whole thing. It is a pretty complex design so I don't know how much the quilting will show up on it.

but  I added borders to it the other day, and now it measures up to be 96" x 114" and that seems like a lot of meandering to do. Meandering  can become a bit tedious on a large project.

so I have just decided to have a little more fun with the quilting and do something different in each of the blocks. There is still a bit of stippling in the little white and blue hexagons that form the background.

I think all so after having done one Rosette that I will switch out the white top thread for different colors as I go.


today I am trying to think of different patterns to put into each rosette. I'm trying this technique where you place vinyl over the quilt itself and use a dry erase marker to plan out your designs. This seems to be working pretty well. 
you can erase the pattern later and reuse the vinyl over and over
I still have quite a bit of planning to do.


13 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning! I want to make one of these. And preferably in this lifetime.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Turned out so lovely! Those quilt tops really give you lots of opportunity to go crazy with your quilting. Keep having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG! What a stunning and innovative way to fill in the spaces between the rosettes. Yup this is on my bucket list too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome quilt. great job! micki@2dogsstudio.us

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful quilt! The quilting is going to make it even more amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a really great quilt, and I love the quilting you decided on - I can see that you had to be totally focused on this in order to finish it - what a lot of work. But again, it's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  7. beautiful quilt! and what a marvelous technique for planning your quilting designs...
    cheers
    molly

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm with Flo! WOW! I can't even imagine all the time that went into this quilt top let alone the quilting! What a treasure this will be. I hope you bring it Shekinah for a showing!! Thanks, too, for the tip about using wipeable vinyl to plan the quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Stunning beautiful, a kaleidoscope of colour and lots of work what a talent I am hoping to do something smaller and similar, but do not know where to start ! soon when I have finished my present project.You have spured me on.

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Recent topics;