Pages

Saturday, December 6, 2014

English Paper Piecing with glue

There is a great new book out by Canadian author Katya Marek, called the New Hexagon:
it has patterns for 52 pieced hexagons for English Paper Piecing, which is a hand sewing technique wgere you bastefabrics over paper templates and then hand stitch the pieces together with a whip stitch.   Later you remove the paper templates, leaving just the pieced block.  
Making these are surprisingly relaxing.  you just photocopy the patterns on to cardstock and cut them apart to get your templates, 
the best thing I learned is that you can use this little glue pen to attach the fabrics to the paper templates.  I had seen this before with a regular glue stick, but this one is only 1/4" wide, and the glue goes on blue but dries clear so you can see where you've applied it.  (nb. apparantly Roxannes Glue Baste it does not work well for this)
I am an enthusiastic convert.  I did all these 24 pieces in 10 minutes!  If I had basted them with thread it probably would have taken a couple of hours.
i did enough templates at one sitting for several blocks that are ready to stitch together...
Im not sure yet how i will combine the blocks... the book has several ideas, but i think i will make blocks until I get tired of making them, and then see how many I have
Im just using a pile of happy bright colors from my stash.... perfect for a day thats overcast outside.
I love english Paper Piecing, and now I love it even more!








2 comments:

  1. I love EPP too and stitch them, which really is time consuming. I think I'll have to try the skinny glue stick! Do you have them in the shop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see there is a quilt-along coming up based on this book. Looks like fun!
    http://www.katjasquiltshoppe.com/

    ReplyDelete

print friendly

Recent topics;